Means of communication
A few centuries ago people knew only a few kinds of communication. They could speak to each other, they could send their message from one place to another by smoke signals, they used mail. Later on, they also had some newspapers. The first expansion of media was when the radio and television were invented. The second and the biggest boom started in 1960s when the first communication satellite was launched into orbit.
There are 4 main media: Newspapers, TV, Radio and the Internet. Today’s people take this as an ordinary thing and we don’t realise that we nearly can’t live without it. Media are very important for us. They give us big amount of information, so big that we can’t remember all that things. They help us to understand things and if you have lots of information you are able to make your own decisions. This is connected with education and media are very good teachers. They highly influence us. They can help other people – making charities… News aren’t always true, they are not objective or says just half true.
Our world is very huge and sending a message from America to Asia a hundred years ago was nearly impossible or it took a lot of time. Nowadays you can send the message in a few seconds and it is very simple. The media makes the world much smaller – particularly the TV and the Internet. When you turn on the TV or a computer you can see whole world like it would be in the next village. You can learn the culture and habits of other nationalities, you can see what they are doing right now. The world is also called ‘the global community village’.
There are not only good things about media. Firstly there are always some information that are not true. We have to be careful about it but when you listen to media for a long time you can find some companies which are nearly always true. Secondly there is a danger of being influenced in the bad way (lot of pornography on the Internet, lot of action films in TV. Thirdly – if you are a famous person the media very often take very big piece of your privacy.Newspapers
Newspapers are the oldest kind of communication but we can say that they are today quite old-fashioned. They are not flexible because when something happens you can’t read about it until the next day. You can read some newspapers on the Internet too. Newspapers still have their own magic. People are weary of looking in a box and it is very nice to buy newspapers, have a cup of coffee and a breakfast in the garden. Nobody is disturbing you. Everything is calm. It’s like magic.
3 main kinds of newspaper:
– – Broad sheets (a quality newspaper)
– – very big pages, hardly any colour pages, not too much photos, more difficult language, it focuses on some topic – more details and facts, longer articles, more tidy-looking, nearly about everything (policy, culture, money…)
– – people who read it are businessmen, people with higher education, people who don’t like blabs (kecy)
– – The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, MF, Lidové noviny, Svoboda
– – Tabloids
– – smaller pages, dramatic headlines, lots of colour pages, plenty of photos, short articles, human interests stories and sensations, simple language, many blabs
– – they more popular than broad sheets, in GB the circulation is about 3 mil per day, it is read by all society ranks
– – The Sun, The Mirror, Blesk, Hrom (both are shits)
– – Special interests magazines
– – they are issued weekly or monthly, they intent on special things (gardening, computers, food…)
– – they are much more expensive than daily newspapers but they are printed in better paper, you should be more educated in a special things to understand itRadio
Radio is the second oldest kind of media. Although we nowadays have TV radio is still very popular. It has lots of advantages:
– – you can take it nearly where you want (very popular in a car)
– – because it is mostly used for listening to music it is very good for relaxing – just to lie down and listen to it (watching TV became tiring)
– – it is very often used for a background sound; it can notify about events quicker than a TV